Parts of the Waring Green Community Centre building are almost 150 years old.
Starting in 1878 it was originally a Sunday School for a Congregational Chapel in Rastrick. In 1902 the building was extended to provide its own Chapel and two years later it became independent of the Rastrick church.
The roof of the original building is interesting because the Brighouse architect TW Helliwell used a new glazing system on it (he’d patented the system in 1878). The Sunday School cost a grand total of £1,806 of which £406 was for the land and £1400 for the building. The buildings are full of interesting details, such as stained glass windows.
The building lost its religious use in 1947 when it was purchased by Brighouse Council and in 1953 it began its life as a community centre.
The centre is run by volunteers from the community for the community.
The building is run by volunteers and we’re always happy to hear from people who’d like to help.